Mixing prints and patterns can be intimidating. No one wants to look foolish (or clownish). But, with a few tips its totally doable, I swear. To get started with ideas and inspiration, check out my Mixing Prints & Patterns Pinterest Board that I created specifically to go with this post.
Tips for Mixing Prints & Patterns
- Mix big with small and small with big. Mixing prints is about creating interest and contrast. So you’ll want to mix a bold stripe or print with a small stripe or print. For example, a big floral print mixes well with a small stripe.
- Treat stripes and dots as a solid color. For example, treat a navy and white stripe as though it were just solid navy. Mix it with a print or pattern you would ordinarily match to solid navy.
- Leopard is a neutral. Period. It goes with everything. So is camo, in my opinion.
- Mix two prints to start. Then add a neutral, such a leopard print or camo to really mix it up.
- Advanced Tip: Use the color wheel to mix and match complementary colors. More on that here.
Below are mixed print outfits. I’ve added a little info about why each one “works.”
So do you feel ready to mix things up this fall?
For more inspiration check out my Polyvore sets, my Pinterest boards, and my Instagram! Oh and please “like” my blog on Facebook!
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, which means if you click on or purchase through certain links, I may receive a small commission.