Mixing prints and patterns can be intimidating. No one wants to look foolish (or clownish). But, with a few tips its totally doable, I swear. To get started with ideas and inspiration, check out my Mixing Prints & Patterns Pinterest Board that I created specifically to go with this post.
Tips for Mixing Prints & Patterns
- Mix big with small and small with big. Wearing patterns and prints together is about creating interest and contrast. So you’ll want to mix a bold stripe or print with a small stripe or print. For example, a big floral print combines well with a small stripe.
- Treat stripes and dots as a solid color. For example, treat a navy and white stripe as though it were just solid navy. Wear it with a print or pattern you would ordinarily match to solid navy.
- Leopard is a neutral. Period. It goes with everything. So is camo, in my opinion.
- Combine two prints to start. Then add a neutral, such a leopard print or camo to really mix it up.
- Advanced Tip: Use the color wheel to mix and match complementary colors. More on that here.
Below are examples of outfits that mix prints and patterns. I’ve added a little info about why each one “works.”
So do you feel ready to mix things up this fall?
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, which means if you click on or purchase through certain links, I may receive a small commission.