Do you have wide ankles but love strappy sandals? I feel your pain.
Below are some tips for shopping for wide ankle strap shoes and where to find them.
Despite my size, I have had relatively small wrists, ankles, and feet for most of my life. I never realized what a blessing that was until I lost those privileges.
About ten years ago, I fractured one ankle and simultaneously sprained the other. I’m nothing if not graceful!
Yes, I had an epic fall, during which I blurted out every four-letter word I’ve ever known.
Thankfully, a handyman was at my house. A relative stranger. So, after cursing and moaning like I was having an exorcism, I asked if he could drive my manual transmission to the hospital. Lying there on the concrete, I knew there was no way in hell I was going to be able to use a clutch.
I tried to stand up, again cussing like a sailor who was at sea for months and had just run aground. The pain was more than I could bear, so I had to crawl to my car as my neighbors watched with curiosity and pity.
Sadly, this was not the lowest point of this injury. I’ll have to tell you about a first date I had weeks later in which my injury lead to total humiliation! I digress.
My ankles and feet were never the same again. They turned purple, blue, and green. And they swelled so much that I couldn’t wear any of my shoes.
I should mention that I was “misdiagnosed” as having two bad sprains at the ER. And it wasn’t until I went to a specialist that we discovered the fracture. So I was walking on a broken bone without a cast for days.
The genius medical professionals who missed my broken bone in the x-ray also included “lose weight” as instructions in my discharge paperwork. They were SO helpful!
So back to my ankles. They swelled up and now have permanent scar tissue and swelling.
And my feet now require wide width shoes. So I truly know the difficulty in shopping for wide ankle strap shoes. The struggle is real!
Shopping for Wide Ankle Strap Shoes – Tips
- Choose a wide width shoe. Wide width shoes tend to have straps for wider ankles.
- Choose genuine leather when possible. Leather can be stretched and manipulated to accommodate larger ankles.
- Get professional help. Take your leather shoes to a cobbler or a shoe repair for stretching. They can also add additional holes to the straps if you need an even longer strap.
- Make adjustments at home as needed.
- You can also stretch leather shoes at home. Get some leather stretching spray and follow the directions. Any shoe stretcher or even just some clamps and a block of wood should work to stretch out a leather strap.
- Add your own holes with a leather punch tool. Just be sure to match the correct size hole.
Wide Ankle Strap Shoes
Where to Buy Wide Ankle Strap Shoes
Just as I said, the best places are those who sell wide width shoes. And by the way, Good American now carries wide width shoes and boots!
For more styling educational posts like this one, go here.
Please subscribe to receive my posts via email.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, which means if you click on or purchase through certain links, I may receive a small commission.