I am going to be honest, dear readers, I wasn’t planning to create a post with the latest trend of wide leg cropped chinos or jeans. Quite frankly, this silhouette is difficult to pull off for many people, especially if you are of average height or shorter. But, I know they are the hot item right now and I keep getting requests for ideas on how to style them. So I’m creating this post by request! Also, go here to see Part 2 of this post.
While I love the idea of plus size wide leg crop chinos, they make your legs look much shorter and throw off your proportions. And I know this from experience! I had, what I call “the summer of the gaucho,” circa 2005/6. And let me tell you that while I felt chic and comfortable, in reality, I looked like I had a stubbier legs than I already do and that my crotch was eating my pants. Fabric literally wadded up between my legs as I walked. It was not a good look!
That said, I did learn a few things, such as the weight of the fabric is crucial to prevent that fabric wad. And that platform sandals are your BFF. And to keep your tops shorter, cropped even, to balance out your proportions. And with an apple shape, that becomes more difficult as a cropped top is not a great option for that shape. So, ideally, you want a high-waisted pair worn with a tucked-in or cropped top.
Bottom line, I’d much rather see a full length wide leg on pretty much anyone. But, at the end of the day, I realize a few things:
- You might be one of those people who happen to look good in a wide leg cropped pant.
- You might not look your best in them, but you give no f*cks. I fully support that stance. Wear what you like, always!
- You want to embrace this trend and using the few tips I provided can make these pants work well enough for you.
- So just to reiterate, look for a heavier fabric and a high-waist.
- A “chunky” and taller shoe is better. Pair with platforms, wedges, block or stacked heels.
- Keep your tops cropped or tucked-in.
Plus Size Wide Leg Crop Chinos Outfit
Shop the Look
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, which means if you click on or purchase through certain links, I may receive a small commission.